As you’re reading this (if all goes well with the scheduled autoposting on WordPress…), my husband and I are touring around Israel! This amazing trip, which I’m sure you’ll hear all about on the blog in a few weeks, was my parents’ wedding gift to us, and we’re finally able to go (we just had our two-year anniversary in November). An adventure like this feels like a fitting way to end what turned out to be a pretty great year! 2013 had its ups and downs, for sure, but the ups were, well, very up. 🙂
- I started this blog! I’d been wanting to blog for years, and hadn’t gotten around to it. Now, with almost a full year of blogging under my belt, I’m so glad I took the plunge.
- My newest nephew was born! He’s almost a year old now, and he is a delight. You can see some pictures of him HERE and HERE.
- I signed with a fabulous literary agent! This was the culmination of several years of blood, sweat, and tears, and when it finally happened, I was over the moon. Of course, that was only the first step along a journey that included…
- Selling my debut novel to HarperCollins! And I thought signing with an agent felt good. 2015, when my book is slated to be released, can’t get here soon enough.
- I attended my first writer’s conference, SCBWI LA! It was fabulous to meet more kidlit writers, as well as to hear some true legends in our field speak. Also, my husband and I took a fun vacation in California when the conference was done.
- I revised my book. And revised it. And revised it again. That might sound frustrating, and at times it was! But my editor pushed me to make the book the best it can be, and it has become something I’m so proud to send out into the world.
- I had a dance performance that was fun and challenging and really well received by our audience—all you can ask for, really!
- I joined the Fearless Fifteeners and the YA Buccaneers!
My word for 2013 was PATIENCE, and I couldn’t have chosen a better one—because even as I’m working to be more patient with myself, I’ve seen my patience pay off in some big ways. And I’m not just talking about the book deal, though that’s the obvious one. I’ve also, in the past few weeks, finally hit some of those yoga milestones I’ve been chasing. Remember when I posted about trying to be patient as I worked toward arm balances? I now have Crow Pose and Headstand in my bag of tricks! Am I perfectly stable in those poses every single time I attempt them? No. But after spending a year building toward being able to do them consistently, I know that with patience, I’ll get there. Oh, and here’s the photo evidence of a year’s work:
A few other random blog-related stats from 2013:
- My most popular post ever is, to the surprise of probably no one, the post in which I announced my book deal (see link above)!
- My second most popular post, to my great surprise, is… *drumroll* THIS ONE: my thoughts on Lauren Oliver’s Delirium series. This is the Energizer Bunny of blog posts! Just in the past week, it surpassed my agent announcement post, my “About Me” page, and a few other key pages in number of views. So, Lauren Oliver fans who keep finding their way to me: Welcome! Look around. Stay awhile.
- I reviewed about 50 books on the blog this year, and you can scroll through those posts using the Friday Reads tag. You can see my top 10 out of all of the books I read this year HERE. I’m going to continue reviewing books on the blog in 2014, though I probably won’t be as formal with my Friday Reads posts… so keep an eye out!
- I have 83 blog followers—not too shabby for my first year! I’m happy so many of you are interested in what I have to say.
So I guess all that’s left to say is, thanks for a great 2013, and here’s hoping that 2014 brings even more good times and good news! Happy New Year, everyone!!